ABOUT PARKLAND AREA
BSMT 3757 43 Ave.
Red Deer AB T4N 3B7
History of Guiding in Parkland Area
The first records of Guiding in our Area are companies in Olds and Coronation in 1914.
In 1936 the Red Deer Division extended southward to Olds, northward to include Lacombe, westward to Rocky Mountain House and eastward to Delburne and Elnora - much of what is the Parkland Area today.
In 1946 and 1955 Lady Baden-Powell came to Red Deer for a visit.
Parkland Area was formed in 1964. Mary Beatty was the first Area Commissioner. Following her were Peggy Godkin, Edna Short, Ada Wheeler, Janet Walter, Lorna Watkinson-Zimmer, Gail Richardson, Henny Smit-Nielsen ,Lorie Coghill, Linda Sills-Fiedler, Nyna Marr and presently Rose Ward.
By 1976 Parkland Area had five Divisions: Red Deer, Mountain View, Golden West, Blue Spruce and Diamond Willow.
By 2007, there were no more Divisions, but instead districts were merged and new boundaries were formed for each.
Currently Parkland Area consists of 8 Districts – Wolf Willow, Diamond Willow, Crimson Star, Westview, Kuusamo, Golden Poplar, Num Ti Jah, and Goldenfields. Our area extends from Airdrie in the south to Ponoka in the North, Banff / Jasper National Parks borders in the West to Coronation in the East.
Resource: A History of Girl Guides Parkland Area available at the store.